The full form of CDS is Combined Defence Services. This defense services exam is administered twice a year. The Joint Defence Service is operated by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) to recruit officers for the Indian Military Academy, Indian Air Force Academy, Indian Naval Academy, and Officer Training Academy.
This CDS review is usually taken twice a year, in February and November. Candidates who pass the Joint Defence Services interview conducted by the Service Selection Commission are subsequently admitted to their respective academies. CDS is unique because only unmarried candidates can take this exam.
Table of Contents
What does CDS Stand for?
CDS stands for Combined Defence Services. CDS is an Indian-level exam administered by UPSC (Union Public Service Commission). The Central Government designed and administered this exam and organized it for recruiting officers in the Indian Army, Indian Navy, and Air Force. The Combined Defence Services (CDS) exam is for graduates and postgraduates only. It is essential in the field of work. This is followed by a face-to-face interview, which is just as difficult to solve. Only unmarried graduates are eligible to take the exam.
CDS Full Form in Army:
The full form of CDS in the Army is Chief of Defence Staff. CDS is a position where a designated person gives direct advice to the government on military-related matters. The Chief of Defence Staff will be able to advise the government on matters of the Indian Army, Navy, and Air Force. Our three armies will be able to communicate with each other in this way. Moreover, this position is held by a five-star military officer.
Salary and Perquisites of CDS:
A Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) has the same salary and entitlements as three Service Heads (also four-star generals). In addition to chairing the Military Affairs Department, he will also assume responsibility as permanent chairman of the Committee of Chiefs of Staff (CoSC). While CDS will serve as chief military adviser to the minister of defense on all matters relating to the three services, the three service heads will continue to advise the minister on matters relating exclusively to their respective services. Moreover, the Military Ministry will promote joint procurement, training, and staffing for the three services.
Eligibility Criteria and Age for CDS:
These are the eligibility criteria for the Joint Defence Services Exam. The age limits for the CDS exam are as follows:
- The age limit for Indian Military Academy, Air Force Academy, and Naval Academy is 19-24 years.
- The age limit for officer training academies is 19 to 25 years.
Educational Requirements of CDS:
Following are the educational qualifications requirements for the Defence Academy Joint Exam:
- For ages, Indian Military Academy and Officer Training Academy candidates must have a degree from a recognized university.
- For the Indian Naval Academy, the candidate must have an engineering degree from an accredited university.
- For admission to the Air Force Academy, a candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited university.
Physical Standards for CDS:
Since CDS is a Defence Academy exam, candidates must have specific physical standards, and these are as follows:
- Candidates for the CDS exam must be physically and mentally healthy.
- Prohibition of permanent body tattoos for CDS exam candidates.
- There should be no hernia anywhere on the candidate’s body.
- CDS candidates must not have an active congenital STD.
- Applicants for the Joint Defence Academy must not have a hearing loss or a cochlear system disorder in the ear.
Educational Qualification Details of CDS:
Here are the educational qualification details of CDS:
- For IMA and Officer Training Academy, applicants must hold a degree.
- Indian Naval Academy candidates must have an engineering degree from an accredited university.
- A diploma in Physics and Mathematics at Level 10+2)
- Bachelor of Engineering for Air Force Academy.
The Form of CDS Examination:
These are the exam structure and stages for the Joint Defence Service Exam:
- The mode of CDS exams is offline. Moreover, it is the mode for pen and paper types.
Pass Two Stages of CDS Examinations:
- Written exam and
- SSB interview
- The exam duration of the CDS exam is 2 hours for each paper.
- The CDS exam is in both languages – English and Hindi
Exam Pattern for the CDS Written Examination:
- There are 340 MCQ questions for the IMA, AFA, and INA exams
- There are 240 MCQ questions for the Officer Training Academy exam.
- These are the subjects to prepare for the written CDS exam – English, general knowledge, math, etc.
CDS FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the Full Form of CDS in English?
CDS Full Form in English is Combined Defence Services.
What is the Full Form of CDS in Hindi?
The Full Form of CDS in Hindi is संयुक्त रक्षा सेवाएं.
Is NCERT books enough for CDS?
Yes, the Joint Defence Service exam is mainly on the NCERT syllabus. Moreover, we can use NCERT records as a CDS reference.
Can girls give the CDS exam?
Yes, girls can register for joint defense services and take the CDS exam. The CDS exam allows female candidates for selection as OTA candidates. The appointment of candidates will be by the short service committee.
Are CDS easy than NDA?
Yes, the CDS written exam is easier than the NDA exam because NDA has a high-level math syllabus. In contrast, CDS has only an elementary-level math syllabus. However, the SSB interview is more difficult for the CDS exam than the NDA exam.
What is the work of a CDS officer?
The recruitment of CDS candidates is in the Indian Army, Air Force, and Navy. Moreover, also for the candidates joining the Defence Academy and hiring accordingly. CDS officer jobs are based on titles like Captain, Major, Lieutenant, etc.
What is the salary of a CDS officer?
The salary of each CDS officer is based on their position in the respective defense academy. The salary of CDS officers consists of basic salary and allowances such as height allowance, DA and uniform allowance, etc. The salaries of CDS officers range from 50,000 to 3 lakhs.
Some other Famous Full Forms of CDS
- CDS- Central Depository System- in Stock Exchange
- CDS- Container Delivery System- in Military
- CDS- Commercial Documentation Services- in General Business
- CDSL- Central Depository Services (India) Limited (सेंट्रल डिपॉजिटरी सर्विसेज (इंडिया) लिमिटेड)